The Loss of the Lion


When I was an undergraduate Philosophy major at Washburn University in Topeka, Kansas, I became very enamoured with Economics. At that time the professors were very conservative and they tended to lecture exclusively free market principals. For some reason, perhaps it was my rebellious nature, I really like to listen to the words of Senator Edward Kennedy. He made sense to me and that created a world of paradoxical thought.

I had lectures and textbooks that explained the functional problems of the minimum wage, all of which are true. But Senator Kennedy made the point that if you work 52 weeks a year in the United States, you shouldn't live in poverty. Maybe it was my blue collar background, but that simple statement summed up how I felt. He inspired me and in order to read what he was saying in politics (and usually on the Senate floor) was not easy task. Back in 1984 we didn't have the Internet. So I had to scurry to the newspaper section of the Maybe Library and hunt down the New York Times or Washington Post.

Even more paradoxical for me was Senator Kennedy's passion for healthcare. He held the belief that every American ought to have access to healthcare. The Economist in me told me that such a proposition was very expensive and involved much government intervention which is something free marketers despise. After all, I had sworn my loyalty to Milton Friedman philosophically. But my heart told me, he was right. I don't know why I felt that way. Maybe I was an impressionable college kid, but I did. It's a feeling in the pit of your gut that tells you right and wrong. And to this day I still believe Senator Kennedy was right in his belief. Although, my reasons are founded in geeky macroeconomic justifications because I believe a healthy workforce leads to a higher standard of living for everyone.

Healthcare is a moral issue, not an economic one. Once we make a moral decision, we can always figure out the incentives and market mechanisms to make our decision work. That is the lesson and inspiration that came to me from the Liberal Lion.

Tomorrow we will bury Senator Edward M Kennedy and I just feel sick about it. When you lose an inspiration, even one you didn't agree a lot of the time, it's personal. God rest his soul. We lost a great American.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paying College Players? The Proposal - Volume 2

Paying College Players? The Proposal - Volume 1

What Omaha means at the line of scrimmage for the Broncos?